YouCount aims to provide local education with a global perspective. As an open platform, anyone can use YouCount.com no matter who they are, where they live, and what they believe. This is why you’ll see an extremely wide range of opinions, as they’ve all been created by people in the community.
First, here are few things we would love to see you do on YouCount.ca:
○ Speak out on any issue you want to change and share your thoughts on our different platforms. Tell your personal story when you start a petition – hearing how you are affected by a problem is powerful. Explain the problem, how it impacts you, your family, friends, or community. Then explain the solution and how others can be a part of it.
○ Choose the decision makers who can give you what you want. A decision maker may be a particular person, group, or organization who has the direct ability to fix your problem. Work with them constructively both on and off our platform to come up with solutions.
○ Mobilize your friends, family, and community by sharing your petition to raise awareness. Use the tools on the platform to show your cause to others through social media, whether at an event or a forum on our platform.
○ Be open to disagreement and listen to other people’s opinions. Change happens when people with different backgrounds and perspectives can participate in a conversation.
○ Update your supporters with developments. Keep them posted on the highs and lows of your campaign and suggest ways they can take further action online and offline to stay involved. Your supporters are on a journey to victory with you, so take them along for the ride.
○ Make sure you sign up to receive updates as we will send you information about events, discussion groups, e-town halls, and other activities.
Now, here are the things we would not like to see on YouCount.ca, which may force us to remove content or restrict user accounts. Just so you know, “content” refers to the text and images in petitions, forums, usernames, comments, and anything else you contribute to the platform.
○ No hate speech – We’re fans of free speech, but we don’t allow hate speech. Hate speech is typically the advocacy of beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people based on characteristics such as their age, colour, disability, ethnic origin, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, medical condition, or veteran status.
○ No violence – Ideas are powerful and can be forceful and peaceful catalysts for change. We don’t allow content that directly incites, glorifies, or encourages violence against anyone.
○ Don’t impersonate others – YouCount.ca is designed to share the stories of real people, supporting real issues. You need to use your email address to start or sign a petition and we don’t allow multiple accounts. Don’t sign petitions for other people, use anyone else’s email address, or impersonate people, including public figures or organizations.